Enrol for the Sesotho sa Leboa POD
The University of Pretoria is a strong advocate of multilingualism. The reason for this is that multilingualism offers many advantages, some of which are mentioned below.
First, the University acknowledges the fundamental value of harnessing the full language repertoires of both its students and staff in advancing academic success. Second, multilingualism can significantly advance social cohesion. Being able to communicate with students and staff in their home languages (even if only at a rudimentary level) can indeed advance social solidarity in ways that few other activities can. Third, and of increasing importance, as the scholar and activist Neville Alexander argues, multilingualism is important since every language spoken in South Africa is an important ‘depository of knowledge’ and is therefore important for the simple reason that some of our increasingly marginalised languages ‘constitute the only possibility of access to valuable indigenous knowledge that reaches far back into the history of the human species’.
In view of the above, I once again invite our academics and support staff to make use of the opportunity to enrol for our Sepedi (or, more accurately, our Sesotho sa Leboa POD, which was successfully completed by a significant number of UP academics in 2016. By participating in this project you can support the University’s commitment to multilingualism in a practical manner.
By enrolling for the Sesotho sa Leboa (Sepedi) POD, you will also assist the University in ensuring that at least 50% of all its staff and students have at least a basic knowledge of Sesotho sa Leboa (Sepedi) by 2021.
How to Self-Enrol for the Basic Online Course in Sesotho sa Leboa (Sepedi)
As a UP Staff Member:
- Go to the UP Portal and log in with your staff details.
- In the clickUP box (portlet), use the link to go to the clickUP home page.
- Now, return to this document and click on the following link: https://www.tinyurl.com/sepedi/
- Alternatively, you should see a banner for Sepedi on your clickUP home page; you could also click on the link there.
- This link only works once you have reached the clickUP home page as specified in Steps 1 and 2.
- You should now see the Northern Sotho course’s enrolment page. On the middle-left, there is a [+ENROLL] button. Click on it.
- A new page opens to confirm that you wish to self-enrol. Click [Submit].
- A last page confirms your enrolment; in the bottom-right is an [OK] button. Click on it.
- Now you are on the home page of the course. From here, you can commence with the course.
- Since you are now enrolled, the course link will now show up on your clickUP home page, or you could use the enrolment link to reach the course again from this point forward: https://www.tinyurl.com/sepedi/
If you have any trouble, please contact the course’s e-learning developer at email@example.com
– Author Prof Norman Duncan, Vice-Principal: Academic